The Nigerian police Force said no member of the Special Anti-robbery Squad (SARS) team will be among the new Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team that was launched on Tuesday October 13.
He also said that this new team will replace the SARS team that was banned, as he Discloses the key differences between the new SWAT team and the disbanded SARS.
The Nigerian government banned SARS after a widespread protest across the country by the youths to end police brutality, with the hashtag #EndSARS and #Endpolicebrutality.
Five important differences between SARS and SWAT you should know about.
Below is a list of things you should know about the new SWAT team. .
- No Member of the SARS team will be among the SWAT tactical team..
- The duty of the SWAT team is to gather security informations..
- Members of the Tactical team will not be allowed to patrol..
- Members of the SWAT team are not allowed to search people’s phones,laptops or other smart devices without any genuine reason..
- The members of this new SWAT team must be free of any criminal case, especially those who are known for reckless use of guns and violation of human rights..
How will the new SWAT team work?
The Nigerian police also listed four(4) Mandates of the new Tactical SWAT team.
The duty of the new SWAT team includes:
- Response to armed robbery attacks anywhere in the country..
- The SWAT team has authority to show up wherever riots with weapons is happening.
- Rescue operations in situations such as kidnapping is also among the duties of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team.
- The last mandate is operations which involves high profile criminals.
Now,this means that they have no rights to check anyone’s phone or bash into anyone’s house with reasons.